Virginia, United States
I guess you could say I was born an artist! My intrinsic artistic abilities appeared around the age of 1½ years old when I began scribbling colorful imagery on my bedroom walls, later carving designs and cryptic messages on my parent’s fine furniture. Over the years, I have continued my artistic endeavors working as a monotype printmaker, painter, mixed media artist, and jewelry maker.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Intrigued



I have always been intrigued by water. While calm and serene, reflecting beautiful skies, it can rise and swell into an angry roar. I am fascinated by the mood of water. This summer, I had a new affair with two (new to me) watersheds. I am determined to visit and paint these places over and over.

First, I visited the McCormick Farm in Raphine, Va. which is now a preserved area, a working farm open to the public, now owned by Virginia Tech. While it is rich in historical content, it is also rich in beauty. The pond there captured my attention for the majority of the time I was there. I have to paint it...again...to get it just right. Here are my first few studies of the McCormick pond.

McCormick Farm #1 Watercolor (C)

McCormick Farm #2 oil (C)

The second place I was mystified by, was when my friend Angie took me to her place on the New River. I was so excited. While we spent the time toasting the end of our summer break and floating down the river on intertubes, I longed to paint it after feasting my eyes on all the colors as they rippled across the mountains and water cast by the changing clouds and light. It's Angie's little slice of heaven and she is generous to share it, as well as her friendship. Soon, I will be posting my studies from there.

No comments: