Virginia, United States
I guess you could say I was born an artist! My intrinsic artistic abilities appeared around the age of 1½ years old when I began scribbling colorful imagery on my bedroom walls, later carving designs and cryptic messages on my parent’s fine furniture. Over the years, I have continued my artistic endeavors working as a monotype printmaker, painter, mixed media artist, and jewelry maker.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Snow Days...Painting Days


Snow days are wonderful for immersing oneself in painting. That is exactly what I have been doing, in-between cups of hot tea and glances out the window to view the ever-changing aspects of creek and woods.

I have been seeking the perfect paper for the watercolor images I am creating. Yesterday, I tried Yupo paper. (I know this is silly, but I just do not like the name. It reminds me of the little car, Yugo!) I wanted to work with watercolor. Well, it makes a great wash! I was soon to find out however, that when I went back to work on my piece, the paint lifted and most of my original wash was gone. "%$#@!" So, I was determined to at least make something out of this piece. I found that by using watercolor crayons and watercolor pencils I could add some interesting textures. Once dry, I checked it and found out, NO, it is not fixed. So, if you plan on using watercolor on Yupo, you have to fix it with a mat finished fixative or add a tad of Liquatex to the watercolor paint if you want it to fix. I have to say, even though I love the brightness and texture effects of the paper, it does not win the perfect paper prize for me.
Lake Fall watercolor on Yupo (C) gls 9" x8" unframed

No comments: