Virginia, United States
I guess you could say I was born an artist! My intrinsic artistic abilities appeared around the age of 1½ years old when I began scribbling colorful imagery on my bedroom walls, later carving designs and cryptic messages on my parent’s fine furniture. Over the years, I have continued my artistic endeavors working as a monotype printmaker, painter, mixed media artist, and jewelry maker.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Figurative Work...



Back in the early 80's I began making collages. Many of those ended up being made in to cards or miniature pieces of art. I created what I called at the time, 'Spirit People' (Matrix Gallery in Blacksburg, Virginia still carries them to this day.). I was very intrigued with the imagery and patterns. I began painting them. I did a few in watercolor, a few miniature sculptural versions, and created monotypes on Rives printmaking paper, and then ....I discovered clayboard!

Red Spirit Monotype (C) gls

The very first monotype on clayboard that I created was an abstracted figure. I did a series of eight monotypes and abandoned them an moved on to landscapes, why, I do not know. I sold two and could not bear to sell the rest. Two of them have won awards of distinction. I hung them in my studio to remind myself to always try new and different media, but mostly because creating art is spiritual...in essence. Each piece is a lesson...and each piece is a narrative of the spirit.

Learning to Fly Monotype (C) gls


Since I have been able to immerse myself in creating, on and off, these last few weeks, I decided to continue working the series I began so long ago.

Coffee Shop #5 monotype (C) gls


Divulgence of Matter monotype(C) gls

1 comment:

Joy Logan said...

WOW Gina! somehow I lost touch with you. I came across a card you sent back when you said you were finishing Grad school,now look at your art!!! I am blown away here on your blog. How did this snow traet you,arrg,it was so much here in Baltimore. hugs Joy