Virginia, United States
I guess you could say I was born an artist! My intrinsic artistic abilities appeared around the age of 1½ years old when I began scribbling colorful imagery on my bedroom walls, later carving designs and cryptic messages on my parent’s fine furniture. Over the years, I have continued my artistic endeavors working as a monotype printmaker, painter, mixed media artist, and jewelry maker.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

New Works

     This past week I explored some new techniques working with hot wax, better known as Encaustic. Since I have been primarily a monotype printmaker for most of my art career, I wanted to 'play' with monotypes. 
   
‎"Emerging Earth" (C) 
 monotype on rice paper 10" diameter

      I had ordered the Encaustic printmaking plates and used those with the griddle with much success. After getting bored with the same shape and size, I rummaged through some of my old aluminum pieces I had used with the oil based  and Createx monotypes. I found a round 10" in diameter piece of the flat aluminum, and placed it on the griddle. Much to my surprise, it worked very well! I slowly fell in love with the circular plate. 

     I discovered that using the wax directly on the plate, then manipulating it with the brush worked best for me. I experimented with various papers, ranging from rice papers to traditional printmaking papers. 

     While I am new to this process, I plan on experimenting even further. 

No comments: