Virginia, United States
I guess you could say I was born an artist! My intrinsic artistic abilities appeared around the age of 1½ years old when I began scribbling colorful imagery on my bedroom walls, later carving designs and cryptic messages on my parent’s fine furniture. Over the years, I have continued my artistic endeavors working as a monotype printmaker, painter, mixed media artist, and jewelry maker.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Quest

I have been on a quest for a certain type of paper. I like the way the foam core surface acts when painted, but it is not really good to use due to the thickness, etc. So, I began my quest. I always start with Daniel Smith. I emailed and Larry answered me back offering to send paper samples. (I love Daniel Smith. All of the reps are actual artists and they do know their product. I bought my Ettan Press there in 1986, and have trusted them ever since.)

While I did not find exactly what I was looking for (I doubt if it exists.) I found some great papers. The Arches watercolor 140 pound paper came the closest to what I was looking for! YAY!

OK, here are my top ten favorite papers...(too many to choose from):

#1 Arches Watercolor 149lb HP

#2 Rising Drawing Bristol 3-ply vellum or 3-ply plate

#3 Fabriano Artistico extra white HP 140 or 300lb,

#4 Arches 260 HP

#5 Fabriano Artistico traditional white 260lb. HP

#6 Lanaquarelle-hot press 300 lb

#7 Arches bright white HP 140 lb

#8 Arches cover white

#9 Blotters (Cool effects)

#10 Arches Plantine


Now, as far as a sketchbook or journal goes, I would have to agree with Larry and say the Aquabee Super deluxe Sketchbook #93 used with a Micron Pigma pen is the route to take. It is the only pen I have noticed, so far, that WILL NOT bleed and remains sharp over several watercolor washes. The Aquabee paper does take a nice light watercolor wash and it would be great for sketching in pen and using watercolor pencils to wash later. YES!!

Larry, a big thanks to you!

No comments: