Virginia, United States
I guess you could say I was born an artist! My intrinsic artistic abilities appeared around the age of 1½ years old when I began scribbling colorful imagery on my bedroom walls, later carving designs and cryptic messages on my parent’s fine furniture. Over the years, I have continued my artistic endeavors working as a monotype printmaker, painter, mixed media artist, and jewelry maker.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Working in 3-D with Encaustic and Mixed Media Processes

A new direction! 
Last summer I began exploring 3-D with encaustic mediums. During this journey, I have been entranced with the house, bird, and the circle shapes. I plan on continuing this path. By encompassing the forms, I find I can bring a creative narrative to my work. As an artist, I have not yet been satisfied with direction, as I hear from other artists they too are always moving forward to find perfection. I feel now that I am on the right path. I am excited about the wax, materials, elements and feel of the works. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 






Artist Statement:

Houses:
The house can be a powerful symbol of the self, and often serves that purpose in dreams and art. This particular symbol perfectly captures the nature of the human self: we are all made of the same basic psychological stuff, but we’re all uniquely complex in our individual personalities and lifestyles.

My encaustic houses are a symbol of personal identity; these house sculptures are part of an inner dreamscape, deep thoughts, natural awakenings, and sensory mechanisms that are part of the soul, some of which I cannot even pretend to explain. The houses are the perfect vessel to be come a reliquary of sorts, to hold those moments or emotions captured within.  

















No comments: